Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Drummer Boy flash mob


So I was thinking of kooky ideas to draw attention to my new novel Drummer Boy without spending money I don't have...

Since Amazon's rankings can change hourly, I'm hosting a "Flash Mob," based on the popular phenomenon of a bunch of strangers randomly agreeing to meet at a specific time and place. So I am flash mobbing Drummer Boy on Amazon at 3 p.m. EST on May 11. Right now, the fun is in the experiment, but I am giving away the bonus zombie story "Dead Ink" or the autobiographical "Dead Cats and Rain" to people who buy the kindle ebook during that hour. Even if you don't buy a copy (or use the free "kindle for PC" download), simply clicking on the book should send it on a viral path to more recommendation slots. If inspired, please blog, Tweet, and Facebook it--the link is http://www.amazon.com/Drummer-Boy-ebook/dp/B003F77EP4


Based on observation and guesswork, I think a small handful of sales in a single hour can really push a book up the charts and compete with bestselling novels. Sure, it won't last long, but Drummer Boy will reach more readers through the extra exposure.

At any rate, it's crazy, it's mod, and it's basically a free experiment in mass psychology (unless you choose to shell out the $1.99 for the ebook version). I'll be live-blogging the event from hauntedcomputer.blogspot.com, which mirrors on my Amazon author page at Author Central. If you want a banner, drop me an email at hauntedcomputer AT yahoo.com. I'll also be filing follow-up reports so other authors can learn about the social-media experiment. Hope you will join and see how it works out.

Scott

###

No comments:

Post a Comment